- What Is A Sports Massage?
- What’s The Difference Between A Sports Massage And A Normal Massage?
- How Does Sports Massage Prevent Injury?
- Are Sports Massages Good For You?
- Are Sports Massages Painful?
- Who Should Get A Sports Massage?
- What Should I Wear To A Sports Massage?
- How Often Should You Get A Sports Massage?
- What Is One Of The Major Benefits Of Sports Massage?
- Why Should You Get A Sports Massage?
- What About Dry Needling?
1. What Is A Sports Massage?
Sports massage is a type of remedial massage that focuses on specific muscles or muscle groups that are recruited in a particular sport. We will ask you about your sport, how often you train, length of training sessions, and when the big event is! Often a deeper style of massage is required, but not always! It really varies between athletes.
2. What’s The Difference Between A Sports Massage And A Normal Massage?
Have a look at Jane and John’s story! Basically it’s all about the background, so techniques can be used to manage this issue at hand. Further with sports massage, different techniques are used depending whether its given during training, before or after race day.
3. How Does Sports Massage Prevent Injury?
Sports massage prevents injury by limbering up the muscles so that they have enough stretch during the intensity of the exercise. This helps to prevent the micro tears or major injuries such as tendonitis, or tears.
4. Are Sports Massages Good For You?
Absolutely! Especially if your health and the way you feel is super important to you! There’s no doubt about it! Massage is so so good for you. It balances your body, relieves pain, lengthens your tissue – muscles, ligaments, tendons! And helps you feel better for those long training sessions.
5. Are Sports Massages Painful?
Yes, they can be as we are working on sore muscles. But we always check in with you to determine your pain tolerance. For example we’ll ask.. “where is this on a pain scale from 1 – 10”. We don’t like to go above 7/10 – this is not helpful for your body healing. There is a point where the level of your resistance will negate any benefit, so a professional massage will always keep the pressure levels under your threshold!
6. Who Should Get A Sports Massage?
A sports Massage is beneficial for any athlete at any stage!
It is especially important if you’ve just embarked on a sporting journey, because your muscles won’t have adapted to the training. Massage will help you to feel better so that you’ll stick to the training plan!
7. What Should I Wear To A Sports Massage?
You can wear a sport bra (or not) and briefs or shorts.
8. How Often Should You Get A Sports Massage?
This really depends on your body type, your training schedule, and when the big event is. After the first few sessions (providing there is no injury) generally a maintenance massage schedule can be recommended to fit in with your competition schedule.
9. What Is One Of The Major Benefits Of Sport Massage?
Loosening over-tight muscles, stretching out the tendons and ligaments, bringing balance back into the body, and hence reducing the risk of injury!
10. Why Should You Get A Sports Massage?
A sports massage is focused to release the muscles that have become tight and restricting your movement due to your training sessions.
Deep tissue may be required to get the desired result, so we will be checking in with you constantly for feedback. Sports massage will assist you with your training sessions, creating better freedom of movement, and above all preventing injury. Being limber and loose for race day will allow you to really enjoy the race, and even get a PB!
11. What About Dry Needling?
Dry needling can aid muscle release & tissue healing with a sports massage. Whilst it is a similar process to acupuncture, dry needling works on trigger points. We can incorporate dry needling with sports massage on request.